About the Campaign
The Recycle Right SC campaign is a partnership between SC DHEC and Palmetto Pride, the state’s anti-litter and beautification organization. The campaign was developed to:
- Encourage residents to improve recycling habits and to recycle properly
- Provide tools to local governments to present a clear, consistent message
- Increase awareness of the economic and environmental impacts of recycling and overall waste reduction
Why recycle right?
- Improve our recycling habits to reach state-wide goals:
- 40 percent recycling rate statewide and for each county
- 3.25 pounds per person per day disposal rate for each resident
- Provide clean, usable material for recycling processors and manufacturers
- Help local recycling programs save money and run efficiently and effectively
What Happens to Your Recycling
The material that is accepted for recycling is different from city to city. This is based on what the MRF in that area accepts. The same materials are not accepted at all MRFs.
How You Can Help
If curbside recycling is available in your area, know what belongs in the bin. Never put in material that isn’t specifically asked for. If you take material to a drop-off site, sort your materials according to the labeled containers. Know where and what is accepted in S.C. at www.scdhec.gov/recycleheresc. Keep track of recycling news and updates in your area and beyond.
Spread the word to your neighbors, friends, and family about what is accepted for recycling. Tell them why it is important to recycle correctly, but don’t be a know-it-all. Lead by example and help others to learn about recycling and waste reduction in an encouraging way.
Volunteer for recycling-related events and opportunities such as pickup programs through PalmettoPride. Encourage those who don’t recycle to start. Push local leaders to be government advocates for recycling and waste reduction.
Recycling’s Dirty Dozen
Have a Question?
Contact us with any S.C. recycling or related questions or comments you may have.