About the Campaign
The Recycle Right SC campaign is a partnership between SC DHEC and Palmetto Pride, the state’s anti-litter and beautification organization. The campaign was developed to:
- Encourage residents to improve recycling habits and to recycle properly
- Provide tools to local governments to present a clear, consistent message
Why recycle right?
- Improve our recycling habits to reach state-wide goals:
- 40 percent recycling rate statewide and for each county
- 3.25 pounds per person per day disposal rate for each resident
- Provide clean, usable material for recycling processors and manufacturers
- Help local governments run efficient and cost-effective recycling programs
What Happens to Your Recycling
The material that is accepted for recycling is different from city to city. This is based on what the MRF in that area accepts. The same materials are not accepted at all MRFs.
The Importance of Recycling
Recycling helps protect the environment. Recycling conserves resources, prevents pollution by reducing the need to collect raw material to make new products and lessens the need to build landfills.
Recycling plays a significant role in the state’s economy. South Carolina is home to about 500 recycling businesses that provide more than 22,000 jobs.
Recycling saves energy. Manufacturing products from recycled material uses far less energy than making the same product from raw material. This makes us less energy dependent.
Have a Question?
Contact us with any S.C. recycling or related questions or comments you may have.